Do I really need that database?
I’m pretty sure that every time I’ve built a web application of any sort in the last decade, I’ve reached for a database. Usually SQLite, at least to start, because it lets me get going fast without any infrastructure in place. It’s not even a question, really: if I’m building a web app, it needs a database of some kind behind it.
Actually, let me rewind just a smidge. I really dig Clojure lately, and my favorite thing about it are the immutable data structures: once you’ve created your map, or vector, or whatever, you can’t change it. Instead, you can derive new things from it. Now that I’m comfortable working with immutable by default things, working without them feels almost like I’m building on shaky foundations.
9 years and counting
Today is my and Jackie’s 9 year anniversary.
It’s funny how things work out. Around when we got married, we had this vague plan to move away from Southern California, to try living other places, to travel a bit and see the world before we really settled down to have kids.
After a year or so it was pretty obvious we weren’t going to do it anytime soon, and we didn’t want to wait forever to have kids, so we had Kayla. Talk about turning our world upside down. Suddenly owning a house became critically important, even if it meant moving well away from work. Suddenly, even though we planned for Jackie to go back to work, we were going to have to get by on just my salary.
Suddenly we were responsible for a child. For a human being. The day Kayla was born, when I went down to the cafeteria alone to get a bite to eat, I cried at how overwhelming it all was.
Somehow, we’ve pulled it off so far. Bought a house 6 months after Kayla was born. 9 months after that we decided she shouldn’t grow up alone, and 9 months after that Colin showed up. The kids are 7 and 5 now, Jackie hasn’t had to go back to work, and we’re still making it. It’s been hard, and continues to be hard, but we’re making it.
Most important: we’re happy.
9 years and counting. We make a pretty good team, Jackie. I love you.
Here’s to many, many more.
Delaying deserialization with Mantle until it's needed
I’m using Github’s Mantle in a small side project where I recently started running into performance bottlenecks with it. I have JSON that looks roughly like this:
A bunch of Things, which each has an array of Widgets. I’ve been working with a fairly large data set recently: 70ish things, and a grand total of 1,341 widgets across all of the things at the moment. On older devices (iPhone 4, iPad 2) deserializing all of that at once was unreasonably slow: I could easily see 5-10 second times for it.
Profiling showed that most of the time was spent in Mantle. I really didn’t want to have to drop it: i’s straightforward to write the deserialization code myself, but there are a lot of types that I’d need to do it for, and this particular project I only get to spend a few hours a week on.
Fortunately, I came up with a good workaround: I don’t need that widgets array until it’s time to render a Thing, and there’s only ever one Thing on the screen at a time. I can just delay deserializing the Widgets until rendering time.
How do we do that with Mantle?
First, the class interface looks like this:
And in the implementation file, I tell Mantle what class that widgets array is supposed to be:
What I can do instead is remove the
+widgetJSONTransformer method so Mantle no longer knows
how to deserialize that field: that results in Mantle just setting
widgets to the raw NSArray
of NSDictionaries that it was handed in the first place. Then, add a new readonly field that
deserializes those widgets on demand.
In the header file:
And in the implementation:
With that, we’re good to go: I just replace references to
in the rendering code.
Due to when I’m calling
-parsedWidgets the deserializing ends up happening on
the main thread, so I might need to get a bit fancier in the future. For now things are
sped up dramatically without having to write a bunch of accessor code, so I’m happy.
A silly Swift dilemma
I have this side project I’ve been working on in my spare time for the last 14 months or so: a native iOS client for groov.
El Capitan's Disk Utility does have an Unlock option
I feel like a right idiot for missing this. Disk Utility in El Capitan does have an Unlock option, under the File menu:
It’s also available on the toolbar, if you context-click and select “Customize Toolbar…”. I feel less like an idiot for missing this one:
Sorry to the Disk Utility devs for complaining so much, and thanks to the person who pointed this out to me!